The Tamaudon was built in 1501 as a mausoleum for the kings of the Second Sho Dynasty by the third king of that dynasty, Sho Shin. The mausoleum is built directly into natural rock and surrounded by stone walls. It consists of three inner chambers or crypts from east to west. The carefully washed bones of king and queen were enshrined in the eastern chamber, with the remains of other families placed in the western chamber. The central chamber was a temporary resting place of a coffin prior to bone cleaning. Externally, the mausoleum resembles a wooden structure. On the ridge of the roof the family crest, peonies, and other intricate designs were carved. Two large Shisa (lion-dog) statues sit above the mausoleum to the left and right as tomb guardians.
Inscribed on the Register of World Heritage Sites in December 2000 as “Gusuku Sites and Related Properties of the Kingdom of Ryukyu.”