Located two kilometers south of Shurijo Castle, Shikina-en Gardens was the second home of the Ryukyuan kings and was also called the southern residence. Built around 1800, it welcomed envoys from the Chinese imperial government, called Sapposhi. Centered on a pond that is designed after the Chinese character for “heart”, the garden offers a wonderful promenade with a pond where floats a hexagonal Chinese-style building linked by an arched stone bridge. On the north side is the Ikutokusen spring while on the south side is Kankodai, an observatory platform.
Designated a national special scenic spot on March 30 2000.
Inscribed on the Register of World Heritage Sites in December 2000 as “Gusuku Sites and Related Properties of the Kingdom of Ryukyu.”