Chinen Castle consists of two enclosures, the western part known as the “new castle” and the eastern part as the “old castle.” Two of the castle’s original arched gates, the western gate and front gate, remain. The wall in the old section of the castle stands between 1.5-2 meters high and is made of natural rock. The new castle wall is made of quarried stone. Although it is unclear exactly when Chinen Castle was built, it is regarded as one of Okinawa’s oldest sites. Within the castle, there is a sacred grove that was visited during a worship pilgrimage by the King and Ryukyu supreme priestess, the Kikoe Ogimi, and a sacred grove dedicated to Hinukan, the god of fire. Until 1893, Chinen Castle served as the municipal government offices of Chinen Magiri (an old administrative district).