- Okinawans generally talk quietly in public places, on buses and the monorail.
Don’t spit on the road, or drop used chewing gum.
- In Okinawa, litter shouldn’t be dropped on the street. It should be separated into cans, bottles, burnable and non-burnable garbage.
Smoking is prohibited in many places. Please smoke in designated smoking areas.
- In most places, it’s the custom to join the line and wait your turn at cash registers, in restaurants and when waiting for the toilet.
- There is no need to pay tips when shopping, at bars and restaurants, in hotels or taxis. Just saying “Arigato” is enough.
- Don’t open the package of merchandise before paying for it. Wait until you’ve paid and left the shop.
- Many establishments dont’s accept credit cards, so it’s recommended to have some change with you. When taking buses, please prepare 1,000 yen bills and coins.
- It’s unusual to go shirtless in Okinawa. Wearing swimwear and going shirtless except at the beach is frowned on.
It’s recommended to wear at least a T-shirt and short trousers.